Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Thai Cooking School

I can totally recommend a cooking class to anyone coming to Thailand/Chiang Mai. What a thoroughly enjoyable day we have had starting at 9.30am this morning. We were picked up by our chef "Pot" and taken to the local market, where he took us through and explained all the ingredients we were to use in our cooking for the day. We were then able to wander around the market and sample some of the local produce. The Chiang Mai sausage was to die for and I don't even like sausage normally. From the market we were taken to the school, which by the way is called Siam Rice Cookery School and were guided inside where we were able to help ourselves to tea or coffee served with local biscuits and fruits. After we had relaxed and filled out the guest book it was time to begin our class. We all got to choose 6 items out of 18 to cook for the day. I chose Pad Thai, Hot and Sour Soup with Chicken,Spicy mixed chicken salad, fried mixed vegetables with sweet and sour chicken, yellow curry and sticky rice with mango. YUM!!! I can't wait to show off to my family hehehehe.....I do believe I can cook!!!!! We had so much fun, there was five of us in total and we all had a lot of laughs. Our chef for the day "Pot" and his sister/assistant "Nancy" were just beautiful people who always shared a joke and a laugh. Half way through the class we were all feeling very full so it was time for a little bit of relaxation. We could go for a walk, sit and rest or lie down. Pot asked me if I could ride a motorbike - "of course", I said. He then said if I wanted to I could take their little baby bike (moped style in my language) for a ride. He gave me the instructions for the how the gears were and off I went. To feel the wind in my hair and to be free to ride around the little village amongst locals was fantastic......it gave me a bit of a buzz I must admit!! After our "rest" it was time to continue on with the rest of our menu - Curry and then the sticky rice with Mango. Once we had slaved over a hot stove and then eaten the fruits of our labor, all in good company, it was time to head back to Chiang Mai. We got back in at 4.00pm - What a great day!

1 comment:

funkyb said...

MMmmmm We are looking forward to tasting some of your cooking