Friday, March 14, 2008

Bangkok

Well arrived in Bangkok after an hour's flight delay, made my way straight down to the taxi meter stand, which I heard was the only way to go when not familiar with Bangkok, so I was feeling pretty confident as you can imagine. Jumped in the taxi, driver appeared not to speak any english and didn't really seem to understand where Asha Guest House was. I showed him the address on the confirmation email I had in my hand from the Guest House thinking that this would be suffice....how wrong could I be!! Luckily before I left the house I had jumped onto the virtual tourist forum and found a couple of posts from people arriving in Bangkok and getting transport from the airport. One of the posts appealed to me as it related to Asha Guest House, so I printed it out and had that in my hand in the taxi. In my broken Thai I said to the driver Saphan Kwai Soi Sam........he sort of understood, well I thought he did and off we went. We were scooting down the tollway in the far right hand lane toward the city centre and I saw the exit that we should be taking, so I pointed to it rather anxiously and he ripped the car across to the other side and we managed to take the exit I was pointing to OMG!!!! Then we drove around and around and around whilst he was trying to understand and I was trying to explain. We eventually stopped and asked a policeman, who pointed him in the right direction. FINALLY at 7.30pm arrived safely at Asha Guest House. What a quaint little guest house.....felt like home immediately. My travel mate Tracy had already arrived and was waiting in the room when I arrived. It was really nice to meet her and we immediately got on well. I basically threw down my pack, grabbed my purse and headed for the bar. Her and I had a couple of quite drinks by the pool and a quick bite to eat and got to know each other and then headed for bed. Next morning we were heading off to the Tiger Temple, so check my next post to follow that journey.

No comments: