Monday, April 21, 2008

Our Trek - Day 10

15th April, 2008 - Just after midnight, lying awake after no sleep at all, head pounding, feeling like I was going to vomit, I leaned over and asked Brad if he was awake. Yes he was..............so I began.......................................

Tears flowing down my cheeks, I softly began to acknowledge the fact that for me to go on any further was just taking too bigger risk. As I lay awake ALL night (just another symptom of AMS) I thought about the many experiences that made our journey so special thus far. At that moment it became apparent to me that it was more about the journey than the destination. So many people get caught up in "the destination", without taking time to smell the roses. Maybe 10 years ago this would've been me - but not now.....particularly when I have my beautiful sons and the rest of my family waiting at home for me. I truly learned a lot about myself during that sleepless night and realized that I had done something quite extraordinary by having the courage to turn around at that point and head down those mountain ranges, feeling totally at peace with my decision. I said to Brad that he should go on and summit Kalipattar as he was certainly coping with the Altitude a lot better than me. He lay silent for a while and then said to me that it would be no fun without me by his side sharing in this experience, as we had shared so much.......it just wouldn't be the same.

The decision was made and by 6.30am, after Brad packed everything up, we took off down to Pangboche (3860m). By this time, I was really sick and feeling quite faint but kept afloat with Coedine and tomato soup. I was sure that the headache would go once we hit the lower altitude! Once we reached our destination (slowly I might ad), I went to bed for four hours. When I awoke the headache was gone and I was feeling heaps better. I actually went and had a shower (first shower in 10 days - lucky I'm a camper hey!!) We had to pay for the showers and they were not cheap so it just wasn't even a consideration most of the time. Whilst I was resting Brad was out taking some amazing photos of the imposing mountain ranges of Kang Tega sitting at approximately 6885m. Tomorrow we would set off for Namche where we would spend 2 days just hanging about and resting.

No comments: